BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 4, 2009

Longwinded on mind for 5min.

A friend managed to get me to check out Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes. I was more than iffy about it, especially having already stated that it is not the kind of book I like to read... but still I got it. I almost returned it at the end of the day but ended up keeping it because my teacher told me it was a good book and I should read it... Still iffy, there. Then I realized that's exactly the type of thing I hate to do, be pressured by people to do something I don't want, even reading a book. Bandwagon jumping. Not my thing. Neither is this type of book. Who's denying that it's an ace book? Not me. I'm just simply uninterested. There is enough tragedy in the world, life and even sometimes my own to surrounding me and everyone else. So no need to be unnecessarily immersed in the hardships of the life of someone else.

When I read, I am escaping tragedy and hardships everything else in life. I don't read to be thrown back into it. Just so I can say, "Oh yeah, I read that book by Frank McCourt. So sad. So moving." Yeah, I bet it is but I don't intend to find out. I should have just taken it back to the library at the end of school like I was going to, but I didn't want to disappoint my friend. I must have forgotten the song that I made today to the theme of some other widely known song that I can't recall... something about something that "ain't what [she] used to be" or what ever...

It goes a little something like this...

I just discovered that I don't really give a crap... I don't really give a crap... I don't really give a crap

That's as far as I've gotten though. :/ I just repeat it and it constitutes for a song. Well anyways, yeah. I regret having to hang on to this book for the weekend, although it's just sitting on myself. I just want it out of my house. To me it's starting to seem like a symbol of oppression and conformity! How, though? That makes no sense at all lol. Welp, I'm going to stick to books I like to read and read only because it's something that fits me and my personality, not because it's something other people recommend. What others recommend ain't always the best for you. Yeah, me and this friend have completely different reading styles, I realized a long time ago. I don't think she has yet, though!

Yes, so as I have said. I have enough tragedy to sustain me from the world and lives around me. Let's not even forget the past. Man, that's full of it. I can read the tragedy of McCourt's past, or I can remember my own and remember that of my people and what we and others all of the world continue to go through today. Not everyone gets the opportunity for this possible catharsis like McCourt did. So, blessed he was.

I just thought about this a minute ago and decided to post it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this post ironic. Why? Because not 5 minutes ago i was reading Angela's Ashes. Yes, so far it is sad...depressing..... But, i think i am going to read it. Why? because i have read practically every other book in my house and i live too far away from any library (which is limited as i live in a very small town...ugh) anyway...just thought i would share this with you...complete stranger who is very intertaining to read. :D

iforgotmyname said...

Aha! what a coincidence xD

Enjoy reading the book =] I hope you can get some more soon! Thanks for commenting, and for the compliment :P

Glad you're enjoying what you see!